The story behind Journeyman
Follow the story as it progresses on Facebook.
The story originated from a decision to ask Leo a very unique question, on August 21st, Patrick wrote a blog post detailing the question and his plan on a website called Medium. The post was met initially criticism but was followed by strong support support for Leo and his example. As the post went viral, over 30,000 people had read about Patrick's intent; waiting to hear Leo's response.
The next day Patrick walked up to Leo and said, "I see you every day on the way to work, and I know this is totally weird but you know how some days are very different from others? Today is not like yesterday. So I have a totally odd question for you..."
Since the initial interest a strong community has gathered around Leo as he works to learn a difficult skill on a $180 laptop, an Internet connection, and an opportunity. Many things to explore here, will he finish? What is he building? Can we repeat it?
The story and it's updates are posted here. If you want to get involved, or have suggestions, please reach out with a message; we work very hard to respond to them.
After some delays, Leo plans to go on video, Monday September 23rd with where he is at, his thoughts and his story.
“Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world.” - Howard Zinn
- The Original Post: http://www.medium.com/architecting-a-life/fee8f3ee97a0
- The Post After Leo’s Response: http://www.medium.com/architecting-a-life/ae059ddffd2e
- TechCrunch, http://www.techcrunch.com/2013/08/21/tech-gets-its-own-modest-proposal/
- Business Insider, http://www.businessinsider.com/programmer-to-teach-homeless-man-to-code-2013-8
- Washington Post,http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/08/21/give-a-man-a-fish-and-hell-eat-for-a-day-offer-to-teach-a-man-to-code-and-youre-kind-of-a-jerk/
- ABC, http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/york-city-programmer-homeless-man-software-coding-classes/story?id=20042021
- (Video) CNN: http://cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2013/12/04/erin-pkg-weir-homeless-computers.cnn.html
- (Video) Today Show: http://www.today.com/news/good-samaritan-teaches-homeless-man-computer-programming-2D11650630
Leo is 36 and lives in New York, Patrick is also a New Yorker, 23, working as a software engineer.